We aim to create and maintain inclusive, honest and mutually beneficial relationships with our stakeholders – those individuals and groups who are impacted by our business or who have the ability to impact our business. These relationships are viewed as tangible, valuable assets critical to our business success. We engage with our stakeholders early in the planning process to learn about and understand their values, needs and interests. We then ensure those values, needs and interests are addressed in our internal decision-making and project execution processes.
ConocoPhillips' stakeholder engagement activities are an integral part of our sustainable development commitments. Our businesses have engagement strategies which vary according to the nature of the local community. In dispersed communities, we identify key stakeholders and engage with them face-to-face to ensure that our activities are understood and that we consider their feedback. In regions where there are opportunities to bring local stakeholders together, we work with multi-stakeholder groups in a similar way.
This approach is embedded in our SPIRIT Value of Integrity, which states that we are ethical and trustworthy in our relationships with stakeholders. Expanding on the value of Integrity, our Principles for Stakeholder Engagement:
• Proactively identify and seek out key stakeholders early in the business endeavour.
• Include these key stakeholders in the design and implementation of the engagement process.
• Listen in order to understand stakeholders’ interests, concerns and culture.
• Communicate openly. Seek solutions that create mutually beneficial business and engagement approaches that also build long-term value for both the company and our stakeholders.
• Follow through on our commitments and stand accountable for the results, both internally and externally.